Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Job Vacancy: Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Bethune-Cookman University, a current member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (transitioning to the Southwestern Athletic Conference, effective July 1, 2021) invites applications for the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
This position, working under the supervision of the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and/or Senior Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations will develop and maintain a championship level competitive team through the creation and execution of strategies for the recruitment and management of student-athletes and staff, and by organizing and directing each aspect of the women’s basketball program. All academic standards, requirements and policies of the University shall be observed by the Head Coach for men’s basketball and members of the staff, including assistant coaches, at all times and shall not be compromised or violated. It is the goal and desire of both the University and the members of the Bethune Cookman University Men’s Basketball Program to achieve at the highest possible academic level, with the expectation that the team’s NCAA Academic Progress Rate will meet or exceed NCAA threshold minimums.
1) Program Management - Provide comprehensive leadership of all aspects of the Men’s Basketball program, through articulation of the institutional and departmental missions, and a commitment to work within university, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations required to maintain an environment of compliance.
2) Coaching – oversight of all on and off-court coaching of the team, including practice planning and implementation, individual and team coaching, oversight of all on and off-campus recruiting activities, including prospect evaluation, database management, correspondence, phone calls, other coaching duties as assigned.
3) Budget Management – Work in conjunction with the departmental and institutional controls to manage budgets including operating, scholarships and restricted.
4) Logistics – coordination of all aspects of the team operational, gameday management and recruiting travel plans.
5) Academic Support – working with the Office of Student-Athlete Services to implement academic support and professional development programs including study hall monitoring, individual academic monitoring and meetings, class checking, and other duties as assigned.
6) Development – Work with the athletic department and Office of Institutional Advancement to raise funds through the Wildcat Champions Fund for Men’s Basketball initiatives, and provide oversight of fundraising and solicitation of gifts within the framework of the overall athletic department fundraising and development program.
7) Ambassador of the University - Communicate with media, alumni, and friends of the University by participating in and attending public speaking opportunities to promote Bethune-Cookman University and basketball through the various social and digital media channels available to the University.
8) Other Duties: Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance at and participation in required training for the role.
Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of five years of previous head and/or assistant collegiate coaching experience; The successful candidate must possess proven knowledge of and a commitment to adherence to NCAA rules, and must have experience in scheduling, academic advising. recruiting, and budget accountability and personnel management. The successful candidate must also have a demonstrated ability to advance the department and University toward diversity and gender equity and must be committed towards meeting and exceeding the NCAA Academic Progress Rates for the program.
Master’s Degree and previous NCAA Division I head coaching experience or lead assistant coaching experience.
The ability to work in a culturally diverse, Faith-based environment is also required. The salary is competitive and employment terms include 12-month, full time status with an attractive benefit package.
Cover letter, plus three references must be forwarded to The Department of Human Resources, Bethune-Cookman University, 640 Bethune Boulevard, Daytona Beach, Florida 32114. Fax at 386-481-2046 or apply on line by visiting www.bethune.cookman.edu.