Assistant Softball Coach
Position Vacancy Announcement
Florida A&M University Athletic Department is pleased to announce the acceptance of qualified applications for the Assistant Softball Coach.
This position reports directly to the Head Softball Coach and is responsible for assisting with all aspects of Softball program including coaching, recruiting, student-athlete monitoring and ensuring program is in compliance with the NCAA, MEAC, and University rules and regulations.
Must have the values of being a role model for student-athletes and a positive influence in the community. Must adhere to BOT, FAMU, and MEAC guidelines and procedures, including rules and regulations. Possess the abilities to promote FAMU and the Athletic Department of students, parents, faculty, and the general public. Must be personable, understanding and project a professional image with excellent leadership and communication skills, to include awareness of social media etiquette, and the inclusion of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) student-athletes.
- Achieves a high level of competence in sport skill instruction, motivation and conduct practice sessions under the direction of the Head Coach;
- Provides effective sport instruction during contest; Recruits student-athletes effectively under the direction of the Head Coach; and
- exhibits the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, MEAC, University, and the Department of Athletics Code of Conduct.
- Achieves competitive results that demonstrate athletic excellence; Demonstrates excellent written, verbal, and listening skills; Exhibits supportive and cooperative behavior in pursuing sport program goals established by the Head Coach; Completes all assignments made by the Head Coach including but not limited to scouting, fundraising, and fanraising; and participates in departmental meetings and workshops to increase professional skills and knowledge.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the Athletic Department and with the rest of the University community; Travels to games and recruiting, as well as, driving student-athletes to team activities and/or athletic events; and performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Bachelor's degree in appropriate area of specialization and one year of coaching experience at the high school level or above. Successful experience as a graduate assistant or intern in an athletic program is acceptable for up to one year of the required experience.
- Skilled in areas of talent assessment, scouting opponents, scheduling and planning; instructing and supervising practice;
- Ability to maintain academic progress of student-athletes;
- Knowledge of NCAA and MEAC rules and regulations;
- Ability to breakdown and knowledge of film exchange;
- Knowledge of softball fundamentals, position details and strategies;
- Knowledge of time management, organization and technical skills;
- Knowledge of softball equipment needs and ability to order equipment;
- Skills in videotaping and use of equipment;
- Ability to motivate players through effective and appropriate interaction with diverse population, University community and public; and
- Ability to communicate effectively.
This is an Administrative and Professional (A&P) position.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidate is subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks and verification of education. An official college transcript, a high school diploma, or other educational documents must be submitted, where applicable, at the time of employment.
Only United States (U.S.) citizens or aliens who have a legal right to work in the U.S. are eligible for employment. Federal law requires proof of your authorization to work in the United States. You will be required to provide proof of your identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of employment.
Section 110.1128, Florida Statutes, prohibits employment by the State (including re-hire after a break in service) of any male born after October 1, 1962, who failed to register with the Selective Service System, under the provisions of the U.S. Military Selective Service Act, during the person's period of eligibility (ages 18 through 25). Additionally, if currently employed by the State, this law prohibits the promotion of such person. You may be required to provide documentation.
How To Apply
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history and education details even if attaching a resume. If you are a current FAMU employee, you must apply through Self Service in iRattler. This search is being conducted under Florida law, including the Sunshine law and Public Records law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (ADAA), please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs at (850) 599-3076 at least ten (10) days prior to the start of the event. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the University by calling TDD via FRS (800) 955-8771.
Time Limited Position
This position is "time-limited". Time limited positions are funded by a contract or grant, auxiliaries and local funds having a defined expiration date. Persons hired in such positions are eligible to attain permanent status with the University but are not entitled to retention rights in the event of the expiration and/or non-renewal of the contract or grant.