Assistant Coach- Men’s Basketball
For more information about Austin Peay State University visit: https://www.apsu.edu/
This is an exempt, non-faculty athletics instructional position.
The Assistant Men's Basketball Coach reports to the Head Men's Basketball Coach and is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in carrying out all activities necessary to accomplish the objectives of this sport within the guidelines of the NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) and the University.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the video coordinator for the men's basketball team. Ensuring proper working order of video equipment and filming of games and practices for review. Also, serves as the coordinator and point person for Synergy (the game tape exchange program mandated by the OVC)
- Provide instruction to basketball student-athletes on the fundamentals, details and strategies of basketball as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Serves as the facilities coordinator for the men's basketball team. Ensuring proper working order of men's basketball facilities (offices, locker room) and equipment. Coordinates with Facility Manager any repair or replacements that need to be made.
- Oversees and supervises the team managers. Ensuring laundry is complete, facilities are set for practice and games.
- Responsible for submitting weekly CARA logs and coordination with the Compliance office.
- Adhere to all policies and regulations of the Director of Athletics, University, OVC and NCAA.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of basketball.
- Serves as the men's basketball social media coordinator; communicating and promoting the men's basketball program, in conjunction with the departments external efforts, through social media.
- Counsel student athletes in sport participation, personal development and academics.
- Work with the Admissions Office to enroll student-athletes.
- Assist Admissions Office in recruiting on a limited basis.
- Assist in monitoring student-athlete's academic progress.
- In consultation with University Advancement and the Athletic Director, assist in fundraising in both basketball and with major fund raisers in the Athletic Department.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Ability to effectively teach fundamentals, position details and strategies of basketball during game preparation and practice sessions.
- Ability to motivate teams to become successful.
- Ability to travel and recruit student athletes.
- Ability to learn and comply with all policies and regulations of the University, TBR, OVC and NCAA.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and Ellucian Banner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and sensitive information.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community and the public.
- Ability to detect and correct grammatical and spelling errors in written correspondence.
- Ability to maintain files accurately, in paper and in software programs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to scout opponents.
- Ability to work summer camps.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree.
- Playing or coaching experience at the college, university or professional level.
- A proven record of integrity, high principles and demonstrated skill in developing and motivating student athletes academically and athletically.
- A background check will be required of the successful applicant.